Friday, April 29, 2011

Pioneer children sang as they sewed and sewed and sewed...

In preparation for the pioneer trek the stake is going on this summer, the girls had to make pioneer skirts and bonnets. We spent a couple evenings with the ward and one long Saturday afternoon at home with Cathy. Cathy is a friend that I work with and she volunteered to come help the girls get their skirts sewed. I have to admit I am so grateful for this help since I don't know how to sew myself.
Here is Makenna, cutting out material that will be some of their bonnets. Lindsay is getting one of the 'brims' ready to be sewn to the bonnet.

Emily is stitching around one of the brims.


The girls were able to get their bonnets done while sewing with the ward for 2 evenings. We spent a Saturday afternoon, 6 hours to be exact, with Cathy getting their skirts done. Here is Cathy, seeing where to hem one of Lindsay's skirts.


Kenna is working on one of the ruffles of her skirt. Lindsay is in the background doing some of the sewing.


There was A LOT of ironing that needed to be done. Here is Emily helping with that. I have to admit, that a majority of the ironing was my job, I also got all the ties for the bonnets sewn and ironed.


ALL FINISHED!! Here are the girls modeling their skirts and bonnets. Each girl has 2 skirts and 2 bonnets for this 3 day trek.


I was impressed with how easily the girls picked up this sewing project. Cathy was a great teacher, she didn't just do it for them but showed them how to do each step. I think that Kenna or Lindsay could take material and make a skirt on their own if they had to. They are all excited for this trek and are counting down until it arrives. They have to take a family name of someone to represent on this trek and Emily is going to take my grandma, Karen Root. She was the first person on my dads side of the family to join the church and that has trickled down to the rest of the family and I'm excited that she is able to do that! We all had a great time sewing together and as much as I was dreading it, it actually turned out to be a fun time!

2 comments:

  1. I love the title of this post:) I didn't realize the preparation for the trek is such a time consuming thing. They will have a great time though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so fun! Are they trekking at Martin's Cove? That will be such a neat experience! We've been there a couple times and it is always amazing. They did a great job on their pioneer sewing!

    ReplyDelete