Thursday, March 31, 2011

Smarty Pants

This post is a little late but Baylie has finished her kindergarten skills book!! Everyone knows that I am NOT a fan of the skills book and although I know it helps the kids learn, I just really dislike having to be the teacher, I just don't have the patience for it! Here is the book with all the kudos from her teacher written on it and the medal that she earned for finishing. The skills book consists of 60 pages or skills that need to be passed off. Some of them are as simple as knowing your address, birthday, phone number and counting to 100. Where my lack of patience comes into play has mostly been on the rhyming pages. There will be an 'an' for example on the top of the page and subsequent words that end in 'an.' Baylie would be going along reading just fine, "van, can, ran, man, bat" What?? Yes, that was among my frustrations. Other pages are words that need to be read without sounding them out, like this one.
For each page that was passed off, they got to put a sticker on the back "chart" of pages, so they could see their accomplishment. For the past month or two, Baylie has had only 3-4 left to pass off. She would come home from school and I would anxiously ask if she passed off any skills because she was so close, only to hear, "1" or "no." The day finally came a couple weeks ago when she pulled out the skills book and showed me all the boxes had stickers on them!!!
Proudly showing her book and medal!
Way to go Baylie!! I'm so happy that this is over and I'm sure she is too! This is really my least favorite homework that ANY of the girls have had to do! I've saved this skills book in the hopes of getting Jace started on it early so when kindergarten comes around for him, my frustration level won't rise too high!

1 comment: